I’m rewarding it with a cupcake.
*Good Idea/Bad Idea Edition*
Multiple cups of coffee
Working at Archive [I think I’ve finally found my office]
Entertaining feelings of worthlessness for more than five minutes
My outfit today is certainly a bad idea - someone else’s oversize flannel, someone else’s hoodie, too-tight dirty pants, half-size too big neon blue alligator skin ballet flats [what, they were free]
B Cup [212 Ave. B btwn 12th and 13th, Manhattan] - nice space, good air circulation as long as you don’t sit way in the back, the wireless kind of lags, but it’s free. Price of small black coffee: $1.75
The Fall Cafe [307 Smith St., Bklyn] - EXCELLENT coffee, free wireless, but often very crowded and hot. Also, not enough outlets to go around.
Tea Lounge [254 Court St., Bklyn] - huge selection of teas and good coffee, free relatively fast wireless and food, but no air-conditioning whatsoever. I had to peel myself off of the couch when I left. Blech.
Next on the list: Archive
I’ve fallen into somewhat of a groove. Find a coffee shop, set up my little space, troll around the internet, send a few emails. My soundtrack: Belle and Sebastian, Andrew Bird, Radiohead, Fleet Foxes.
I had lunch with a fellow un-employee today, and it was really great to connect with someone who is also trying to reassemble their mixed up tangrams into a recognizable shape.
Been discussing ideas a lot with my dad. It’s funny how my unemployment has really improved our relationship by leaps and bounds. It was broken for a long time, and if fixing that is the only thing I get out of this period of life-shuffling, it’s probably worth it.
Old buildings were made for summertime. My room is so cool and dark and quiet. My fortress of unemployed solitude.
I’m sitting in a coffee shop in Carroll Gardens, drinking iced coffee with soy milk, listening to Belle & Sebastian, alternating between sketching, applying for jobs, and complaining about my life on the internet.
Crossed most of my to-do’s off of my list… sent out a ton of emails. Made blueberry pancakes, helped paint a chalkboard wall. Applied for a job at a major studio. Still on the hunt for an “office” [read: cafe with free wireless] where I can do my “work”.
It’s going to be really hard to not get completely depressed.
10 minutes of frisbee.
Talk about books.
Brunch [+2 Bloody Marys]
Post-brunch park nap.
Return to apt, make fun of videos on Spanish music channel, drink mason jar of water.
Sneak back into park under cover of darkness, lay in grass and watch stars come out.
Paul: Want to meet at 6:30?
Casey: yeah. I’ll shower, and possibly change out of cut-offs.
can I be in the club now?
Is emotional self-sufficiency possible? Is every person programmed to seek validation in others?
Dad: Wow… we need to talk. Call me tonight?
Casey: Is it that bad of a plan?
Dad: It’s right up there.
Where is an out-of-the-way, quiet place to hang out and draw and drink a GOOD cup of coffee [preferably somewhere off the F or G trains, either in Manhattan or Brooklyn]?
Matt B: …I’m moving back up May 1, but I’m going to be sleeping in my van from the 27th until then
Casey: Eff the van, stay on my couch, you bimbo!
Matt B:aww, thanks, Dr. Steve!
Casey: For your health.
Who needs to afford prescription medications anyway?
Today felt like a sorely needed vacation. I have some truly amazing people in my life right now.
- Scored a wild boar tooth pendant from Brooklyn Flea this morning. Currently wearing it along with my stamped brass ‘C’ pendant
- Got myself a picnic lunch from the greenmarket in Grand Army Plaza - goat cheese, rosemary and sundried tomato flatbread and an apple.
- Read BANNOCK, BEANS AND BLACK TEA in the park, took a nap in the grass, and watched some hipsters play whiffle ball
- Later on, I’m heading to Whiskey’s for some home-made dirt cake. EFF YES.
I’ve been slacking on making posts [apologies] so here is a rundown of some of the more important thoughts going through my brain today:
- I can’t drink black coffee in the afternoons anymore. It tears up my guts. It used to be a point of pride for me that I could pound a cup of joe like a truck driver at any hour of the day. But these days, I do so and the body revolts.
- I miss having class outside on days like this. I wish I could go back to college as the person I am now, and appreciate it.
- I fought so hard against liking Sufjan Stevens for so long. But Illinoise is really, really good.
- It is beautiful here in New York today. But despite the weather, this city is closing in on me. I’m really hurting for some blue sky and open pastures.
- ryan: i'm so hungry.
- ryan: what do i want to eat?
- Casey: bacon
- ryan: you're right!
- Casey: what do i win?
- ryan: bacon
- Casey: YESSSSS!
I’m always amazed at the speed at which Important Things replace other, defunct Important Things.
My life so far has been a continuous motion blur of new, this instead of that, letting it go and bringing it in. And although I hate it, I love it. Stagnancy kills. The last thing we want on our hands is a dead shark.